“I love being in marketing because it is ever-evolving. It is a results-based position while also offering opportunities for endless creativity. ” – Tamika Carlton
- What’s your story? (what did you want to be when you grew up? How does your current position relate, etc?)
For as long as I can remember I have been the individual observing the behavior of others. My observations coupled with my love for writing allowed me to create written messaging that people actually enjoyed reading! After majoring in broadcast journalism in school, I quickly learned my ultimate skill set was communication, in all facets. Once in the workforce, I had the opportunity to utilize my talents that slowly morphed from me doing so in the corporate world to startups. I relish having the opportunity to deliver unique messaging based on an array of industries – hence marketing! Now equipped with the technical, creative, and love for what I do, I truly feel all my experiences led me to where I am today!
- How did you connect with Bottle Rocket Media?
I simply applied on Indeed for an open marketing position. It was the company’s first hire in the department, and now we are happily growing even more!
- How would you describe working with Bottle Rocket Media? Working at Bottle Rocket has truly been a pleasure. It has been a combination of learning the ins and outs of video (I’m still not an expert) while also having the chance to connect to creative, fun, and talented people. I feel like everyone contributes, everyone appreciates one another, and everyone makes the company a great success!
- Why do you love being a Director of Marketing? I love being in marketing because it is ever-evolving. It is a results-based position while also offering opportunities for endless creativity. Being a director is really just being a visionary of sorts while also facilitating what needs to be done to get results.
- Your role is integral to the success of the team, how do you think you fit in and how do your skills work well with the team? Interestingly enough, although remote, it has been a bit different to get to know the team, but, I’m always eager to work on new marketing strategies. The goal is to produce more inbound leads and more moments for the team to showcase their talent and unmatched service!
- Share your rocket sauce with us! What is your greatest accomplishment thus far as a Director of Marketing)? As a marketing person, seeing something come out of nothing is always fun! When I first started, we had plenty of content, and lots to work with, but we were not yet ranking on Google. Now, we are ranking in the top 10 for some favorable keywords – that’s super exciting!
- What’s your favorite movie/video? I’m the type of person that can rarely watch the same movie more than once, so when something resonates with me, it’s a great thing! Love Jones is my favorite movie. Based in Chicago, with a side of jazz, love, and poetry, it is all that I need in life.
- What’s a talent you have that you rarely share? I paint. I’m alright most of the time.
- Pick what you could live without out of the three? Amazon, Netflix, or Google? I would really like to keep all three, but I will go with Netflix. There are other streaming services I use.
- If you had to sing karaoke, what would be your go-to song to sing? “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me),” by Whitney Houston. I get the party started with getting the crowd engaged and everything. Maybe I was meant to be a performer, with lots of autotune 🙂