Remember when going to class meant sitting in a room with other students? Well, that way is truly old school. Online education has taken a great leap forward, and the masterclass format is upon us. It’s because of the irresistible power of storytelling that has taken the business world to a new level. As such, people across the globe are being authentic and sharing their stories in captivating and inspiring ways.
One way to do this has been the masterclass video. Think about it; everyone is an expert on something. Imagine sharing your knowledge with the world and getting paid to do so! And by sharing your story and your unique experiences and expertise, viewers could become inspired to take action to make a change in their own lives. If this sounds appealing to you, we’re here to help you to learn how to host your own masterclass. Ready? Let’s get started!
What is a Masterclass?
A masterclass is “a class or seminar given by a master (you) of a particular subject to students.” In other words, it’s an opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise with the world to help others learn and grow. But it’s not simply holding your phone in front of your face and telling stories from back in the day. A masterclass is a more formal approach, well thought out and deliberate.
A masterclass is a segment, typically 2-5 hours long, or a series of content spoken from person to audience through a camera. It is script-based, educational storytelling presented in a conversational tone, so it’s interesting, relatable, and easy to digest.
There are several modes in which a masterclass can occur but pre-recorded, high-quality video content with the right mood should be the main focus. The various ways in which you can present your idea, lesson, or educational material can fall into the following:
- a high-end presentation
- a lecture-type setting like the TedTalk format
- An endearing setting in which the “teacher” speaks directly to the camera sitting or standing
You can also combine all of the above into what could become more of an online course or an explainer video.
Creating your own masterclass is beneficial because it is not limited to a classroom. With video content as the teaching medium, your options become less limited in reach and potential visibility.
Who Is Your Masterclass Audience
Before you go about producing your own masterclass, make sure to consider how you plan on using your footage. Take note, most masterclass content is used for broadcast television (Oprah’s Masterclass) or for online use like masterclass.com, accessible by purchase only.
It is extremely important to have an understanding of who your target audience is. We suggest asking yourself the following questions to gain the needed info:
- What are the demographics of your target audience?
- What are the interests of your target audience?
- Where is your target audience?
- How will you inform your target audience that your masterclass even exists?
- If it is pay-per-view content, how much can your demographic afford?
Write down the responses to the questions above and cater to your production and marketing needs around your target audience. Remember, your goal is to have your production shared and utilized by the appropriate parties.
What Is Needed To Create A Masterclass
A few things really matter when deciding on creating a Masterclass and ensuring it is successful. Once again, we suggest asking yourself the following questions and taking note of your answers.
- Do you have the right talent? You may desire to be the person teaching, or you may have someone else in mind with expert advice and experience to share. Determine who can effectively deliver the message to your target audience or cast the right talent if needed.
- What is the lesson to be taught? The lesson will be the main piece of the puzzle, so confirm the lesson is needed and designed to establish an outcome your audience wants.
- What is the mood you want to share? The setting matters, so determining the mood you desire your audience to feel will help in determining the best setting and camera angles to accomplish your goal and will dictate the messaging.
- Have you connected with a video production team? Visually, you want your Masterclass to stand out. The right video production team will listen to your vision, write the script, select the setting, find the talent, create emotional appeal via video, and edit the footage to represent your vision.
Mainstream Masterclasses tend to feature individuals we are familiar with, have grown to love, and appreciate their work, so listening to their experiences seems easy enough. if you pay close attention, masterclass footage is filled with simplicities, but the delivery is poignant because of the creativity and professionalism. From the individual speaking, the attire, the background music, the setting, and the camera angles, the message becomes amplified, and the audience listens intently. This, my friends, is behind-the-scenes work at its best!
There is a real opportunity for you, your company, and your expertise to be shared to inspire success for your audience members. If you haven’t heard it before, you are unique, and your story is worth sharing; you just have to do it in the right way.
Creating Content For Your Masterclass
When it comes to the content of your masterclass, you’ll want to ensure that it provides value to your viewers. You should start by asking yourself the following questions to identify your niche.
- What are you passionate and knowledgeable about?
- How do you want to share it with the world?
- What makes your approach unique?
Answering these questions will make it much easier to create content that viewers will be compelled to watch. Remember, your viewers will turn the video off if you are not authentic.
You will also want to be keen on ensuring your masterclass is high quality. Here are a few tips to consider:
- Keep it focused.
- Make sure your audio and video are of professional quality
- Engage with your audience by asking questions and encouraging interaction.
- Use stories and examples to illustrate your points.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to hosting a successful masterclass!
How To Host a Masterclass
Now that you know how to host a masterclass, what are you waiting for? Go out there and share your story with the world!
Pick a Topic
- What’s your expertise: No point in attempting to teach something you are no expert in. Make sure to choose a topic that you have extensive knowledge and experience in. This will help you develop an authentic, engaging, and informative masterclass that is valuable to your audience.
- Conduct market research: Take the time to find out what people are looking for and what topics are currently popular in your industry. This will help you determine if your topic is relevant and in demand.
- Know your audience: This step is always on the agenda. It’s essential for you to understand who your target audience is and what they are looking to learn. Think about your audience’s skill level, interests, and needs to ensure that your masterclass is tailored to their specific requirements.
- Identify gaps in the market: Sure, there is tons of content out there, but you will be surprised by how many topics haven’t been touched yet. Take some time to research and determine if there are any gaps or niches in your industry that are not being addressed by other masterclass creators. This will help you establish yourself as an authority in your field and attract a unique audience looking for exactly what only you will be offering in the market upon the masterclass release.
- Consider your passion: Passion makes teaching and sharing your craft easeful. With this in mind, select a topic that you are passionate about and enjoy. Your enthusiasm will shine through in your masterclass and keep your audience engaged throughout the course.
- Evaluate competition: You have got to be aware of your potential competitors so you can be different and understand the key ways to market yourself. While you are doing your market research, don’t forget to analyze your competitors. What have others done related to your ideal topic? See if you can provide a unique approach that will resonate.
We certainly covered all the bases to get you started and on your way to creating an appealing masterclass distinctive to your personality type. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Start your project with a team passionate about delivering the best story in an unmatched way. Connect with the Bottle Rocket team for all your Masterclass needs. We love this stuff from concept to delivery and can talk about it all day. To learn more about Bottle Rocket Media and how we differ because of our Rocket Sauce, connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn!