Remember when going to class meant sitting in a room with a bunch of other students? Well, that way is truly old school. Online education has taken a great leap forward and the masterclass format is upon us. Let’s talk about how you can create your own education series.
The new-age way of composing lessons in a masterclass format is upon us, and you must join in on the fun. We are here to help with the process!
What is a Masterclass?
To quickly introduce you to the new way of doing things, let’s just say, the internet has made space for “experts” in all genres of life a way to deliver a message, lesson(s), and expertise through a new video program called….you guessed it, a masterclass!
A masterclass is a segment, typically 2-5 hours long, or a series of content spoken from person to audience through a camera. It is script-based, educational storytelling, presented in a conversational tone so it’s interesting, relatable, and easy to digest.
There are several modes in which a masterclass can occur, but pre-recorded, high-quality video content with the right kind of mood should be the main focus. The various ways in which you can present your idea, lesson, or educational material can fall into the following:
- a high-end presentation
- a lecture-type setting like the TedTalk format
- An endearing setting in which the “teacher” speaks directly to the camera sitting or standing
You can also combine all of the above into what could become more of an online course or an explainer video.
The idea of creating your own masterclass is beneficial because it is not limited to a classroom. With video content as the teaching medium, your options become less limiting in reach and potential visibility.
Who Is Your Masterclass Audience
Before you go about producing your own masterclass, make sure to consider how you plan on using your footage. Take note, most masterclass content is used for broadcast television (Oprah’s Masterclass) or for online use like masterclass.com; accessible by purchase only.
It is extremely important to have an understanding of who your target audience is. We suggest asking yourself the following questions to gain the needed info:
- What are the demographics of your target audience?
- What are the interests of your target audience?
- Where is your target audience?
- How will you inform your target audience that your masterclass even exists?
- If it is pay-per-view content, how much can your demographic afford?
Write down the responses to all of the questions above and cater to your production and marketing needs around your target audience. Remember, your goal is to have your production shared and utilized by the appropriate parties.
What Is Needed To Create A Masterclass
There are a few things that really matter when deciding on creating a Masterclass and ensuring it is successful. Once again, we suggest asking yourself the following questions and take note of your answers.
- Do you have the right talent? You may have a desire to be the person teaching or you may have someone else in mind that has expert advice and experience to share. Figure out who can deliver the message to your target audience effectively or cast the right talent if needed.
- What is the lesson to be taught? The lesson will be the main piece of the puzzle so confirm the lesson is needed and is designed to establish an outcome your audience indeed wants.
- What is the mood you want to share? The setting matters so determining the mood you desire your audience to feel will help in determining the best setting and camera angles to accomplish your goal and will dictate the messaging.
- Have you connected with a video production team? Visually, you want your Masterclass to stand out. The right video production team will listen to your vision, write the script, select the setting, find the talent, create the emotional appeal via video, and edit the footage to represent exactly what your vision is.
Mainstream Masterclasses tend to feature individuals we are familiar with, have grown to love, and we appreciate their work so listening to their experiences seems easy enough. if you pay close attention, masterclass footage is filled with simplicities, but the delivery is poignant because of the creativity and professionalism. From the individual speaking, the attire, the background music, and setting, and the camera angles, the message becomes amplified, and the audience listens intently. This, my friends, is behind-the-scenes work at its best!
There is a real opportunity for you, your company, and your expertise to be shared to inspire success for the members of your audience. If you haven’t heard it before, you are unique, and your story is worth sharing, you just have to do it in the right way.
Start your project with a team passionate about delivering the best story in an unmatched way. Connect with the Bottle Rocket team for all your Masterclass needs. From concept to delivery, we love this stuff and can talk about it all day long. To learn more about Bottle Rocket Media and how we differ because of our Rocket Sauce, connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn!